Making a Back Inlay


Here's the story or the evolution (told in pictures) of a decorative back inlay. I wanted to add something to the back of the applewood 00 model I am building for Peter Fingers Guitar Basar in Osnabrück. Not that the apple isn't pretty, it really is. But I figured out that I would quite like it to add some little pattern to devide the two bookmatched pieces. And I always liked the inlay patterns of  Swedish luthier Ted Astrand. So I would give it a go.
Usually it would make sense to do the inlaying before bracing the back when its still a flat piece of wood. But because I wasn't sure about the binding and purfling materials I could only execute this on the guitar after the binding was done. At the end it all turned out well. And I am glad I make the extra effort to make this inlay. 












Comments

Popular Posts